• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
techraptor.net

Hyperdimension Neptunia: GameMaker R:Evolution Announced for for PS5, PS4, and Nintendo switch

Today Compile Heart announced a brand new Hyperdimension Neptunia spin-off game titled Hyperdimension Neptunia: GameMaker R:Evolution.
www.famitsu.com

つなこ氏が5年ぶりに描き下ろした新女神たちが活躍する『超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ GameMaker R:Evolution』制作発表! 開発者インタビューでは特ダネもアリ!!【先出し週刊ファミ通】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

2023年3月23日(木)発売の週刊ファミ通(2023年4月6日号 No.1790)では、コンパイルハートの最新作『超次元ゲイム ネプテューヌ GameMaker R:Evolution』の新作スクープ情報をお届け。

Yep, you read that right, at last Compile Heart's making an in-house Neptunia game for Switch day 1. Only took until the system was 6 years old, but better late than never. Just hope as it's day 1 it'll turn out nicer than their late ports on Switch which haven't fared so well (implying it'll be made with porting to it in mind, if it wasn't the lead platform). One can hope.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Neptunia-GameMaker-REvolution_Famitsu_03-22-23_001-768x430.jpg

Compile Heart has announced Neptunia GameMaker R:Evolution for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Switch, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will launch on August 10 in Japan for 8,500 yen. A "Victory Special Edition" and Digital Deluxe Edition will also be available for 12,100 yen, and a "New Recruit Welcome Box" edition for 18,480 yen.

Hyperdimension Neptunia GameMaker R:Evolution is a spin-off starring Adult Neptune and set during an era of competing game studios. After three game developer goddesses lost the race for "market share" in game sales and went under, Adult Neptune—a traveler of many dimensions who suddenly appears in their world—is tasked with reviving the fallen developer when the three goddesses ask her to become their president. Will she be able to save them from being labeled "failure goddesses" and dropping off the map?

More at Gematsu: https://www.gematsu.com/2023/03/neptunia-gamemaker-revolution-announced-for-ps5-ps4-and-switch

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I know the fans of this were all looking forward to another spin-off.

... There have been 11 spin-offs since the last main game it looks like. This will be 12.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Are these games getting better? Metacritic has recent games ranging from 60 - 70%, while the ps3 games range from 45 - 55 %.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Are these games getting better? Metacritic has recent games ranging from 60 - 70%, while the ps3 games range from 45 - 55 %.
Same question. It's such an interesting concept that Im surprised no one else has tried it (actual console warz in video game form). Im wondering how they are dropping the ball critically. I am guessing that they must be finding some sort of commercial success if the series and spin offs have going on for this long?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Same question. It's such an interesting concept that Im surprised no one else has tried it (actual console warz in video game form). Im wondering how they are dropping the ball critically. I am guessing that they must be finding some sort of commercial success if the series and spin offs have going on for this long?
yeah, 'd like to hear from fans of the series.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
So fun info, the 3 new goddesses in this are based on the Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar and 3DO, so this is about the failed consoles of the 5th generation. Combat looks like it could be from Sisters VS, so this should hopefully be another decent entry.

So, there was a period where Neptunia game quality was increasing steadily - Victory on the PS3 was a notable step up - and it came to a head with Megadimension Neptunia VII on the PS4 as that was the first game where they had a better budget to work with and didn't need to rely on so much asset reuse (as evidenced by them hiring Earthbound Papas to help with the soundtrack). It was still only an A tier RPG, but it had a good story, soundtrack and combat and you could tell they were really trying to put out the best they could on a slim budget.

Then they decided to take that newfound success and.... stop working on core Neptunia games - choosing instead to farm the brand out to other developers for increasingly worse spinoff games as they worked on a bunch of new IPs that all sold poorly. Then they remade VIIR a couple of years later (on the same console no less!) in a new engine, tanking the performance, cutting a ton of content and generally ruining the game in the process, then had to come running back to Neptunia to put out all the fires they started after all their new IPs (except Mary Skelter) flopped.

The latest title, Sisters VS Sisters, was finally a return to form and got the series back on track to some degree... but the problem is a lot of time has passed since VII, the series could have been in really good shape if they'd not abandoned everything. Now they are starting again from where they were at a decade ago.

Regarding the scores, the PS3 games are more harshly criticised off the back of the first game being an unplayable trainwreck, 2 is fine and Victory is what they used as the engine for all the Rebirth releases, it was a solid RPG. The spinoffs vary, a few of them are fine (Noire, U and 4 Goddesses), most are middling to bad, one of them is janky but good fun (Sega Hard Girls). Overall the games that are worth trying depending on your expectations are Rebirth 1/2/3, VII (NOT VIIR), Sega Hard Girls and Sisters VS, if your tolerance for jank is low then just VII and Sisters VS, but if you are ok with it then at least try RB1 as it's a very short game and introduces the characters. Most games in the series are alternate universe so you really don't miss anything by skipping them, beyond knowing who characters are.

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this is not a Neptunia themed RPG Maker entry? Kinda disappointed but more Nep is always appreciated.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The latest title, Sisters VS Sisters, was finally a return to form and got the series back on track to some degree... but the problem is a lot of time has passed since VII, the series could have been in really good shape if they'd not abandoned everything. Now they are starting again from where they were at a decade ago.

Is Sisters really as good as the early games? I played every Nep game during 2012-2016 (including originals and Re;Births), I think I got burned out because even though I loved VII I never got around to finishing it and then I stopped playing anything that came out afterwards. I think if a new main line is announced I will try to get VII done, it's been like 6 years since I stopped playing. @_@ I just never got around to playing it again. (oh somehow I did platinum SEGA Hard Girls in between neglecting VII lol)

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Is Sisters really as good as the early games? I played every Nep game during 2012-2016 (including originals and Re;Births), I think I got burned out because even though I loved VII I never got around to finishing it and then I stopped playing anything that came out afterwards. I think if a new main line is announced I will try to get VII done, it's been like 6 years since I stopped playing. @_@ I just never got around to playing it again. (oh somehow I did platinum SEGA Hard Girls in between neglecting VII lol)
It's not on par with VII (in particular there is a fair bit more asset reuse, particularly the soundtrack, and the start is fairly weak), however I'd pin it as a top 3 Nep game. In terms of story it goes for a more serious tone akin to Mk2, it's not super dark and brooding but it has a bit of punch to it with some emotional impact (especially the ending), it feels more like a typical RPG in this department compared the later spinoffs just being all lighthearted fluff and no substance. Presentation is mixed but generally on the high end for Neptunia standards, combat can be a bit cheesy but it's fun and you can make some fun chains.

Overall I would say, considering you've stuck through a lot of the Nep games that'd be offputting to a lot of people, this is one of the ones you shouldn't miss. The only points of concern I'd have is that you didn't finish off VII (which is still the best one), and that the early part of Sisters VS is where it is weakest, so there is a chance of you bouncing off. But if you are fully in the mood for a Nep again it's definitely the one to go for, just pretend everything else post-VII didn't exist.

Sisters VS is technically a spinoff in terms of gameplay, but honestly it's so close to mainline that it may as well be considered one, it is set after the events of VII, and this new game is clearly post-VII as well.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot looks like we're getting an iteration on the SvS battle system, which means day one from me for sure. ScS was probably the fastest I actually played through one of the longer Nep games (22 hours), despite issues and all.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 10981

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2022
It's not on par with VII (in particular there is a fair bit more asset reuse, particularly the soundtrack, and the start is fairly weak), however I'd pin it as a top 3 Nep game. In terms of story it goes for a more serious tone akin to Mk2, it's not super dark and brooding but it has a bit of punch to it with some emotional impact (especially the ending), it feels more like a typical RPG in this department compared the later spinoffs just being all lighthearted fluff and no substance. Presentation is mixed but generally on the high end for Neptunia standards, combat can be a bit cheesy but it's fun and you can make some fun chains.
Screenshot looks like we're getting an iteration on the SvS battle system, which means day one from me for sure. ScS was probably the fastest I actually played through one of the longer Nep games (22 hours), despite issues and all.

Would y'all say the writing is better in SvS? I used to like the series back on the PS3, but it felt like pretty much everything Noire onwards (with the exception of VII) had really tedious and grindy gameplay, and the writing went from being witty with great chemistry between the cast to a super dated meme being thrown out every other line of dialogue.

Hearing that it has a dub again is super appealing too, don't know why they went with not dubbing the last few games. Definitely want to figure out if I should buy it soon though since Idea Factory games skyrocket in price so quickly these days.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I give props to Compile Heart for their consistency with this IP tho.

I also love the graphical direction of the games; so colorful.

Neptunia-GameMaker-REvolution_Famitsu_03-22-23_003.jpg

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
So apparently Sisters ran on Unity, which while not perfect on Switch (unless you're Playtonic or Moon Studios), it might mean a better port this time. Shocked they're not on Unreal 4 as they tried for 4 Goddesses Online.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
So fun info, the 3 new goddesses in this are based on the Apple Pippin, Atari Jaguar and 3DO, so this is about the failed consoles of the 5th generation. Combat looks like it could be from Sisters VS, so this should hopefully be another decent entry.

So, there was a period where Neptunia game quality was increasing steadily - Victory on the PS3 was a notable step up - and it came to a head with Megadimension Neptunia VII on the PS4 as that was the first game where they had a better budget to work with and didn't need to rely on so much asset reuse (as evidenced by them hiring Earthbound Papas to help with the soundtrack). It was still only an A tier RPG, but it had a good story, soundtrack and combat and you could tell they were really trying to put out the best they could on a slim budget.

Then they decided to take that newfound success and.... stop working on core Neptunia games - choosing instead to farm the brand out to other developers for increasingly worse spinoff games as they worked on a bunch of new IPs that all sold poorly. Then they remade VIIR a couple of years later (on the same console no less!) in a new engine, tanking the performance, cutting a ton of content and generally ruining the game in the process, then had to come running back to Neptunia to put out all the fires they started after all their new IPs (except Mary Skelter) flopped.

Regarding the scores, the PS3 games are more harshly criticised off the back of the first game being an unplayable trainwreck, 2 is fine and Victory is what they used as the engine for all the Rebirth releases, it was a solid RPG. The spinoffs vary, a few of them are fine (Noire, U and 4 Goddesses), most are middling to bad, one of them is janky but good fun (Sega Hard Girls). Overall the games that are worth trying depending on your expectations are Rebirth 1/2/3, VII (NOT VIIR), Sega Hard Girls and Sisters VS, if your tolerance for jank is low then just VII and Sisters VS, but if you are ok with it then at least try RB1 as it's a very short game and introduces the characters. Most games in the series are alternate universe so you really don't miss anything by skipping them, beyond knowing who characters are.
Thank you. I am grateful for your reply.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Would y'all say the writing is better in SvS? I used to like the series back on the PS3, but it felt like pretty much everything Noire onwards (with the exception of VII) had really tedious and grindy gameplay, and the writing went from being witty with great chemistry between the cast to a super dated meme being thrown out every other line of dialogue.

Hearing that it has a dub again is super appealing too, don't know why they went with not dubbing the last few games. Definitely want to figure out if I should buy it soon though since Idea Factory games skyrocket in price so quickly these days.

For sure. It's probably because of how many of the other games recently were just kind of nonsense but I was actually pretty surprised at how serious this one got (which of course Nep points out).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

It's definitely far more like Mk2 or VII in terms of writing than the more recent spinoffs, which just devolve into a bunch of inane chatter and references, it still has some of that (I mean, it wouldn't be Neptunia without it), but it's far more restrained. Although as writing is so subjective I can only say that I consider it as "one of the good ones" bunched in with Mk 2, Victory, RB1, 2, 3, VII and Sega Hard Girls. You mention Noire, and while I think the gameplay in that is fine the story is so painful I couldn't finish it, so I guess that's an indicator of what I'd consider bad Neptunia writing.

So apparently Sisters ran on Unity, which while not perfect on Switch (unless you're Playtonic or Moon Studios), it might mean a better port this time. Shocked they're not on Unreal 4 as they tried for 4 Goddesses Online.
Tamsoft made 4 Goddesses Online, I can't think of any games Compile Heart has made which use UE.

Deleted member 10981

Banned
Feb 24, 2022
For sure. It's probably because of how many of the other games recently were just kind of nonsense but I was actually pretty surprised at how serious this one got (which of course Nep points out).

Welp, going on my to-buy list!

It's definitely far more like Mk2 or VII in terms of writing than the more recent spinoffs, which just devolve into a bunch of inane chatter and references, it still has some of that (I mean, it wouldn't be Neptunia without it), but it's far more restrained. Although as writing is so subjective I can only say that I consider it as "one of the good ones" bunched in with Mk 2, Victory, RB1, 2, 3, VII and Sega Hard Girls. You mention Noire, and while I think the gameplay in that is fine the story is so painful I couldn't finish it, so I guess that's an indicator of what I'd consider bad Neptunia writing.

Glad to hear it! Honestly I didn't think Noire's gameplay was horrible, the core of it was good, but man did later levels feel like they slogged and the difficulty balance got so much worse. And like you said, the story, and in my opinion also the dialogue was unbearable, so I dropped it amidst all this stuff combined.

Shaqnificent

Aug 1, 2022
I had the patience for this series' jank back on the PS3 when I was a kid. VII was the last game I played and after that I never returned.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not on par with VII...

Thank you for the write up, I will look into SvS.
Glad to hear it! Honestly I didn't think Noire's gameplay was horrible, the core of it was good, but man did later levels feel like they slogged and the difficulty balance got so much worse. And like you said, the story, and in my opinion also the dialogue was unbearable, so I dropped it amidst all this stuff combined.

I actually really liked Noire, but I think the big highlight for me was just the vast amount of parody characters that were clearly inspired by so many games, they were really fun. U is the one I found absolutely painful and horrible to get through.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017

Unplayable trainwreck? Are you kidding? The original first game on PS3 is still my most favorite in the series. I enjoyed that one more than any other Neptunia game.

Deleted member 10981

Banned
Feb 24, 2022
Thank you for the write up, I will look into SvS.

I actually really liked Noire, but I think the big highlight for me was just the vast amount of parody characters that were clearly inspired by so many games, they were really fun. U is the one I found absolutely painful and horrible to get through.

I loved the parody characters too, but man do I feel like they could've done more with them, and the fact that they never came back in any way hurts.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Huh, never tried the series and a bit curious, did any other ones come to switch and are any of those worth trying?

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
The only one I ever played had the CAVE shooter mascot girl as a playable character and I remember one skill of hers breaking everything in the game.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Unplayable trainwreck? Are you kidding? The original first game on PS3 is still my most favorite in the series. I enjoyed that one more than any other Neptunia game.
The original game is heavily maligned and the lowest rated by quite a margin, there is a reason they drastically changed things up for Mk2 and the remake - not just the sluggish and janky gameplay but the characters generally being far less likeable. It's not an exaggeration to say that finding someone who actually legitimately loved the original is a rarity, let alone who likes it more than any of the others.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

This was my experience too. Hyperdevotion Noire was a simplistic SRPG but it was colourful and fun and the parody characters (who I think don't show up in subsequent games) were genuinely enjoyable.

U was just stupid and the gameplay was repetitive and annoying too. Felt the same about Megatagmension.

The SEGA Hard Girls crossover was the last one I played and that was pretty good.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to figure out what Mk2 meant in this context (there are so many friggin' Neptunia games that it's impossible to keep them all straight for anyone who hasn't played them I think) that I looked it up. Hilariously, the Wikipedia entry for Mk2 (the original version of the second mainline game, for anyone else wondering) mentions this tidbit for Rebirth 2 (the Mk2 remake):

In June 2015, the remake version was the second most purchased Steam-platform game amongst players from the Vatican City, as reported by real-time Steam trackers.[17]

lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So I've seen this series in passing, as a switch mainly guy where should I start/give the series a try?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
So I've seen this series in passing, as a switch mainly guy where should I start/give the series a try?
On Switch the only options you have are the Senran Kagura spinoff (bad), Super Neptunia RPG (worse), and VII (the best mainline title). Problem with VII is the Switch port sucks, it runs like trash. So... basically nowhere unless you have any other platform options.

My general recommendations for anyone with a similar question are as follows:

Re;Birth 1 (PC) - Basically the easy start point, it's very short and introduces the main characters well. It has not aged well though, and the PC port despite being the best one doesn't even have great controller support. It's regularly on sale for virtually nothing on Steam. Even if you only play it for like a couple of hours to see the core characters (Neptune, Vert, Blanc and Noire) and then dip out due to the aged gameplay, it'll give you an indication of the characters and world is of interest to you.

Re;Birth 2 (PC) - Optional, introduces more core characters and has a more serious story, but it was toned down a lot from Mk.2. Tbh, I find this one best to skip and come back to later if you're really getting into the series. Most Nep games are alternate universe and none really require you to play any previous ones.

Re;Birth 3 (PC) or Victory (PS3) - Not much difference here beyond price and RB3 having some more content. The 3 Re;Birth games all used the engine and assets from Victory (the 3rd game) so this remake barely changes anything meaningful. This is a good one to play, but it is a long one and you might get burnt out. Again, entirely optional and potentially worth coming back to later.

Megadimension Neptunia VII (PC or PS4) - The best of the lot, the only time the series had a proper budget and it made a lot of strides forwards. Minimal asset reuse, darker story, great new characters (especially if you like the Dreamcast), top notch soundtrack by Earthbound Papas, fun gameplay. It's rough around the edges but it's a really fun A tier RPG. If you only play one, make it this. DO NOT BUY VIIR. PERIOD. OK?

Sisters VS Sisters (PC, PS4 or PS5) - Already talked about it above, a return to form after years of bad spinoffs, it isn't essential that you play any others before but it does follow on from VII and so you really should play that first. It falls down in a few areas and has a weak start, but is still one of the best in the series.

Superdimension Neptuna VS Sega Hard Girls (PC) - An oddball spinoff featuring the Sega Hard Girls (personifications of every Sega consoles, they had an anime as well), this one is hard to quantify as it's still kinda like the Re;Birth games but they added some light platforming and action elements. This one kinda shines more from the story and characters than any of the new gameplay elements. Leave this one until you're a few games deep though and invested in Neptunia.

4 Goddesses Online (PC or PS4) - Personally I don't much care for this one, it's a spinoff with action based gameplay kinda like the Sword Art Online games, so if you like those you might enjoy this. Generally it is well regarded among others though, the plot is pretty meandering and there isn't much depth to the combat though (again, kinda like the SAO games) so YMMV.

TL:DR
- If you have a low tolerance for jank then VII followed by Sisters VS.
- If you can stand a bit of jank Re;Birth 1, then VII, then Sisters VS
- If jank doesn't bother you or you start enjoying Neptunia, the three mentioned above andthen pick and choose any others in any order.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, never tried the series and a bit curious, did any other ones come to switch and are any of those worth trying?
Symphony above seems to be the resident Nep expert, but I myself actually reviewed both VII and Super Neptunia RPG on Switch and, yeah as said, they're rough on Switch sadly. But I also reviewed the Senran Kagura crossover on Switch and did enjoy that one, and it's definitely the best performing/polished of the three by far.

Note I'm no Nep vet so my reviews are from a sort of newcomer angle.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

Neptunia 1 is an abysmal product. More power to you, but I can't understand how that game both got a sequel after how shitty it was as a game, but how much better MK2 is compared to it by extension.

Parroting Noctis, Rebirth 1 is a good point. It's got the improved battle systems of the later games while not being tied to the convoluted, 'fluid' timeline the rest of the games are in with all the multiverses and junk. It also has decent writing for what it is compared to the other games.