• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
9ab0744631a990e32cd7ce343a911fcc8fa88083_hq.gif

And then all the characters fade away. What happened to the inklings

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is what happened after Chaos won the Final Fest and Pearl became the harbinger for a new age of darkness

Sakurai tried to warn us and we didn't listen

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Isn't that what happens in the adventure mode? They become lifeless statues. Inklings included I assume.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Smash is a tournament of death. Newcomers were in despair seeing it while veterans like Link and Mario were already prepared to murder anyone.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I assumed part of the implication is that all the characters Inkling was looking at were either possessed by Galeem already or were the cloned characters used for spirits.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a mystery here? It was a trailer fake out with the inklings leading into OMG smash logo.
There's no mystery.
Even if this is a completely non-diegetic scene, the mere tone being so ominous is notable

The first game implies a kid is playing make-believe with Nintendo dolls ... and now the Inklings are ripped away from their lighthearted game world into a dark void where Nintendo veterans await in shadow, with a flaming Smash emblem.

are they trying to convey how twisted Smash is as a concept

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Even if this is a completely non-diegetic scene, the mere tone being so ominous is notable

The first game implies a kid is playing make-believe with Nintendo dolls ... and now the Inklings are ripped away from their lighthearted game world into a dark void where Nintendo veterans await in shadow, with a flaming Smash emblem.

are they trying to convey how twisted Smash is as a concept

I mean, World of Light starts with the universe being destroyed. The trailer fits that tone pretty well.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I like to think of it as a welcoming to Inkling as a character. Smash invites, to me, are considered the greatest honor for a game character, and it's even more of an honor to be chosen as the first newcomer for the series, as it was for Meta Knight/Pit/ZSS/Wario/Snake and Villager/Mega Man in the past. This was Nintendo's legends (led by Mario and Link, natch) announcing the new game, and telling Inkling that they have been given the great honor not just to be a Smash newcomer, but also that they have made it to Nintendo's pantheon.

Besides, everyone knew that if there was a new Smash game, that Inkling was an absolute given for being a newcomer. This was Sakurai just making it official.